Katy M. Young, Partner
Business and commercial litigation, including partnership disputes, breach of contract, computer fraud and abuse litigation, financial services litigation, real estate, construction defect, business torts, professional negligence, and collections.
Selected business transactions, including drafting and interpreting contracts, licensing agreements, leases, and trademarks.
EDUCATION / PUBLISHED PAPERS
Ms. Young received a Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, in Social Science and Pre-Law from University of the Pacific in 2004. She attended the university on an athletic and academic scholarship and held several distinguished research assistant positions. Ms. Young graduated from University of San Francisco School of Law, magna cum laude, in 2009. She was a member of the law review and the moot court program as well as a tutor and mentor. The law review published her comment article Georgia is a Peach for Insured’s Right to Diminished Value at 42 U.S.F. L. Rev. 417 (2008). She received honors for best oral argument in the moot court program and top honors in legal research and writing. Ms. Young spent her last semester of law school working as a judicial extern for Chief Magistrate Judge James Larson in the Northern District of California. She also spent a summer working for the California State Bar Office of the Chief Trial Counsel which prosecutes attorneys charged with ethical violations.
Ms. Young is a member of the Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court, the Berkeley Rotary Club, ProVisors San Francisco IX, the USF Women Lawyers Committee, and the Executive Committee of the Litigation Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco.
Ms. Young is a member of the California State Bar. She is admitted to practice in all of the courts in the State of California.
- Resolved numerous disputes among business partners, replete with breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Defended first impression investment fraud in the cannabis industry.
- Successfully represented e-commerce business owners in claims against contract consultants under Computer Fraud and Abuse act and California Penal Code section 502.
- Represented a prominent law firm for computer hacking claims against a rival law firm.
- Represented major government agency in a professional malpractice action against a leading accounting firm.
- Successfully defended a comptroller of a public company against securities fraud charges brought by the SEC.
- Settled partnership disputes for numerous small business owners.
- Obtained trademark protection for brewery clients, restaurant clients, retailers, and financial service clients.
- Settled complex trademark disputes for vitamin and supplement manufacturer.
- Represented a large general contractor in a complex construction defect claim brought by homeowners, including cross-complaints against numerous sub-contractors.
- Obtained dismissal of a claim for violation of San Francisco’s short term housing law on first demurrer.
- Settled numerous neighbor vs. neighbor disputes regarding property lines and easements.
- Obtained settlement for homeowners needing a new roof following a failed home inspection and negligent referral of home inspector by real estate agent.
- Represented prominent doctor against doctor’s insurance company for defense coverage for mass tort action.
- Defended business owner/attorney against unfair competition allegations brought by the California Attorney General.
- Represented individuals in trade secrets and unfair competition claims brought by former employers.
- Defended restaurant owners in breach of contract actions brought by banks and commercial lenders.
- Settled a police brutality matter brought against a Northern California county.
- Obtained large sums of past due monies in collection actions on behalf of law firms.
- Tenaciously represented a commercial lessor in an over $2 million purchase transaction in the San Francisco Bay Area which took over one year to complete.
- Successfully settled a lawsuit based on breach of an oral agreement for sale of a San Francisco restaurant two weeks before trial.
- Without resorting to litigation, settled a dispute between co-owners of a construction materials business.
- Defended a commercial tenant in an unlawful detainer action and obtained a ruling in my client’s favor with an award of attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained a six figure settlement one week before trial on a breach of contract claim in San Jose.
- Defended high net worth individual against allegations of sex torts and fraud.