Michael Dorsi, Of Counsel (traveling until late 2017)
Michael Dorsi represents individuals and companies in business and commercial litigation, including civil fraud, trade secrets litigation, computer and technology misuse, business ownership disputes, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, breach of contract, and collections litigation. He also advises clients concerning risks related to state and federal law as well as local ordinances. Mr. Dorsi has also successfully avoided litigation by negoting buyouts of small business owners.
Mr. Dorsi frequently argues motions at hearings before state and federal courts in the San Francisco Bay Area, including summary judgment, pleadings motions, and evidentiary motions. He has experience obtaining and opposing prejudgment relief, including temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions.
Mr. Dorsi’s experience includes cases with frequent interactions with clients involved in day to day activities, as well as managing litigation independently from clients, notably in trade secrets litigation where client representatives are not permitted to view substantial parts of case files.
Mr. Dorsi’s specific experiences include:
- Won judgment including disbursement for partner withdrawing from Limited Liability Company in marketing research space.
- Successfully negotiated buyout for partner in San Francisco apparel retail store.
- Obtained favorable result for principal investor in real estate investment dispute by defeating all competing claims at the pleading stage.
- Represented professional services firm in fraud action against its former executive.
- Won dismissal of Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on behalf of creditor on basis of debtor’s mismanagement.
- Successfully defended artist from intrusive attempts to inspect electronically-stored information, including sensitive correspondence with other artists.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for hospitality business sued concerning disability access.
- Defended telecommunications component company accused of misappropriating trade secrets.
- Represented media company in embezzlement dispute against advertising agency, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Obtained favorable monetary award for former health services employee at California Labor Board.
- Reached favorable settlement of qui tam lawsuit against defense contractor for sale of faulty equipment.
- Represented whistleblower exposing fraud against federal government by major health insurance company.
Mr. Dorsi has acted as pro bono counsel for Distributed Energy Consumer Advocates, a non-profit committed to representing the interests of residential and small commercial electric customers who make investments in green technology. He also volunteers as an attorney-coach for San Francisco School of the Arts’ high school mock trial program, and is a member of the organizing board of Crissy Field Parkrun, a free weekly 5km event for runners of all standards. He is a fan of Arsenal F.C. and a member of Bay Area Gooners.