Trina M. Clayton, Senior Counsel
Trina Clayton is a seasoned civil litigation attorney with a history of representing both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of matters including product liability, employment, business disputes, personal injury, family law, and complex litigation. She has represented individual litigants as well as small businesses and multi-million dollar corporations. Ms. Clayton is an experienced courtroom litigator and frequently appears in both state and federal court. Always mindful of the economic risks and realities of trial, however, she actively strives for early resolution of cases whenever practicable through mediation, negotiation and other avenues of pre-trial settlement in order to obtain the best result for her clients.
Ms. Clayton is licensed to practice law in all of the state courts of California, as well the Northern, Central and Southern United States Federal District Courts.
Ms. Clayton is also a certified mediator, trained in conflict management and resolution. She has undergone mediation training at her alma matter of the University of San Francisco and received certifications through mediation programs in Santa Barbara and the San Francisco Community Boards.
PRO BONO WORK
Since 2015, Ms. Clayton has been volunteering her time at Bayview Hunters Point Community Legal, a local non-profit, specifically designated to serve one of the most underprivileged areas of San Francisco. Ms. Clayton handles a variety of employment and family law matters for BHPCL and recently obtained a favorable trial ruling for a client who had suffered years of physical and emotional abuse at the hands of her husband.
Ms. Clayton has significant trial experience in San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles and San Diego. Some of her accomplishments include:
- Securing a $1.96M judgment for a cannabis client.
- Obtaining a successful settlement for an administrative assistant in a sexual harassment suit against a governmental entity.
- Obtaining multiple summary judgments for a national equipment manufacturer in multi-district product-liability cases.
- Successfully prevented a hospital supervisor from being wrongfully terminated.
- Obtaining a generous settlement for an employee in a wage and hour action.
- Representation of numerous employees in wrongful termination and sexual harassment cases which resolved positively through mediation.
- Securing a verdict for a sexually and emotionally abused client.
- Representing local, family-owned companies against product defect claims.
- Mediating cases involving family, roommate, and neighbor disputes.
- Representing restaurant workers in wage and hour claims.
- Representing clients in divorce and child custody proceedings.
- Defending home owners in construction defect claims.
Ms. Clayton is a California native, born and raised in Carmel Valley. She received her Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science from California Polytechnic State University and her Juris Doctorate from the University of San Francisco. Ms. Clayton is a proud member of the San Francisco Bar Association, Employment Law Section member, American Associate of University Women, Commonwealth Club, ArtPoint and the San Francisco Symphony.