On a typical day you’ll find Katy, Ad Astra’s managing partner and boss lady extraordinaire, out on the front lines advocating fiercely for her clients — as well as behind the scenes, helping to build a law firm full of wonderful people she’s proud of.
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” is one of Katy’s life mantras, and she’s never backed down from pursuing the outcome that represents a true victory for each client.
Whether it’s settling a dispute between co-owners of a business, representing individuals in breach of fiduciary duty and unfair competition claims, or defending private companies in a securities action, Katy’s mix of empathy and determination makes her an ideal teammate, supporter, and champion in any legal action.
Fellow attorneys regularly seek out Katy’s expertise as well, as she has expertise in emerging fields such as the cannabis industry.
From tech companies to breweries, cannabis businesses to startups, Katy uses her razor-sharp legal skills to enable California’s brightest stars to do what they do best: focus on their businesses and their lives while she handles the disputes that are holding them back.
When she’s not securing victories for her clients, she’s likely camping with her husband and two children, cooking for friends, or planning her next beach vacation.
State Bar of California
Northern District of California
J.D., University of San Francisco 2009
B.A., Social Science, University of the Pacific, 2004
- Resolved numerous disputes among business partners/LLC members/Boards of Directors, replete with breaches of fiduciary duties, in a wide range of industries, including legal cannabis.
- Settled dispute between purported owners of a cannabis business holding an equity permit where the party forming the basis for the equity permit was pushed out after permit issued.
- Without resorting to litigation, settled a dispute between co-owners of a construction materials business.
- Resolved dispute between brother and sister co-owners of successful publishing business.
- Defended first impression investment fraud in the cannabis industry.
- Represented major government agency in a professional malpractice action against a leading accounting firm.
- Successfully defended a comptroller of a public company against securities fraud charges brought by the SEC.
- Represented prominent doctor against doctor’s insurance company for defense coverage for mass tort action.
- Defended business owner/attorney against unfair competition allegations brought by the California Attorney General.
- Represented individuals in trade secrets and unfair competition claims brought by former employers.
- Defended restaurant owners in breach of contract actions brought by banks and commercial lenders.
- Obtained large sums of past due monies in collection actions on behalf of law firms.
- Successfully settled a lawsuit based on breach of an oral agreement for sale of a San Francisco restaurant two weeks before trial.
- Obtained a six figure settlement one week before trial on a breach of contract claim in San Jose.
- Defended high net worth individual against allegations of sex torts and fraud.
Computer Fraud and Abuse Act/CDAFA
- Represented national IT provider firm in lawsuit filed by national healthcare products manufacturer for violations of California Penal Code section 502 and Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Settled just before trial an e-commerce business owners’ claims against contract consultants under Computer Fraud and Abuse act and California Penal Code section 502.
- Represented a large law firm for computer hacking claims against a rival law firm.
Real Estate & Construction
- Resolved complex Marvin claim for ownership of real property pursuant to oral agreement between cohabitating couple.
- Obtained TRO against a developer who excavated without proper notice to neighbors.
- Represented a large general contractor in a complex construction defect claim brought by homeowners, including cross-complaints against numerous sub-contractors.
- Obtained dismissal of a claim for violation of San Francisco’s short term housing law on first demurrer.
- Settled numerous neighbor vs. neighbor disputes regarding property lines and easements.
- Obtained settlement for homeowners needing a new roof following a failed home inspection and negligent referral of home inspector by real estate agent.
- Tenaciously represented a commercial lessor in an over $2 million purchase transaction in the San Francisco Bay Area which took over one year to complete.
- Defended a commercial tenant in an unlawful detainer action and obtained a ruling in my client’s favor with an award of attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained trademark protection for brewery clients, restaurant clients, retailers, and financial service clients.
- Settled complex trademark disputes for vitamin and supplement manufacturer.
General Counsel Work
- Serves as outside general counsel to several Bay Area businesses, including breweries, service firms, construction companies, and cannabis-focused businesses.
NovelPoster v. Javitch Canfield Group, 140 F. Supp. 3d 938, 140 F. Supp. 3d 954
Super Lawyers Rising Star 2014-2018
Benchmark Litigation, Top 40 Under 40 Hotlist 2018
Expert Network Distinguished Lawyer
Litigation Counsel of America, Associate Fellow
Clio customer story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=PBbO4o9L2FE
MG Magazine: 30 Powerful Cannabis Attorneys You Should Know
Practical Advice for Attorneys Representing Clients Participating in the Sharing Economy:
The Expert Network/Noticed:
“Getting Comfortable with the Uncomfortable: Advising Clients in the Sharing Economy,” Continuing Education of the Bar, California Business Law Practitioner, Fall 2018, Volume 33, No 4.
October 17, 2019
“Cannabis and California Real Estate: What Realtors Need to Know About the Cannabis Industry”
Bellevue Club, Oakland
Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW East Bay)
November 13, 2019
“Navigating the Complexities of Building a Cannabis Business”
360 Labs San Francisco
Early Growth Financial Services
June 17, 2019
“Structuring Enforceable Contracts in the Cannabis Industry”
Clearlaw Institute Webinar
June 14, 2019
New Orleans Morial Convention Center
New Orleans, LA
President of National Cannabis Bar Association www.canbar.org
Executive Committee of Litigation Section of Bar Association of San Francisco
Group Leader Assistant, ProVisors San Francisco IX Group
Berkeley Rotary Club Member
- What is your favorite vacation spot?
Anywhere on a beach with a beer
- What is your favorite food?
Bean and Cheese Burritos
- Favorite quote?
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”